Hey My Bee-You-tiful Blossoms!
I am really enjoying this little break I have this week. Today I helped my great-aunt clean the house and caught up with some blogging, reading about what some of the other lovely ladies (and guys) are doing out there. It’s been fun, something I’ve definitely missed these past weeks. 🙂 Right now as I’m writing I’m watching the 1997 Rogers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella. I love musicals, especially this one, and I love that the whole thing is on YouTube! (There are a lot of other musicals that I love too, like the Swan Princess, Quest for Camelot, Muppet Treasure Island, Annie Get Your Gun, the Disney Princess movies, and lots of others!)
This last December, two lovely ladies nominated me for the Liebster Award: Sandy and Kendra. I still can’t believe I haven’t done this yet, so I thought it’d be fun to answer some of these questions, especially with how much has gone on since then. Tomorrow I’ll be back with some What Kat Ate action and later this week with some more deliciousness. 🙂
The Liebster Award supposedly stems from the German word for Liebster, which is dearest.
It has 5 parts:
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 interview questions you’ve been given by the person who nominated you.
- Create 11 new questions.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and mention them in your post.
- Go and tell the person who nominated you, along with the people you’ve nominated about your post.
(I’m doing parts 1 and 2 by answering both answering both Sandy’s and Kendra’s questions.)
1. Are you scared to die?
(That’s a profound question to start off with…) In a sense, no and yes. Yes because of the unknown and huge change it would be; no because I hope I will have lived the best I could and done everything I can to make a difference.
2. What is your best health tip?
Focus on vegetables and fruits. Focus on plant foods. Give up numbers – no one apple is ever the EXACT composition as the last one: they are each individual, but still have their beneficial qualities that most do. The thing that has helped me overcome my tendency towards obsession with perfection (like orthrexia) has been to give up numbers. I love math and it comes easily to me, but that strength because my weakness as I became obsessed with being “perfect.” But I find that as I view foods as simply good foods and better for you foods, I can focus on the health properties each food can provide my body. I can then pick between good, better, or best, leaning more heavily on the better and best side.
3. Do you believe that genes or diet/lifestyle is more powerful to your health?
Diet/Lifestyle. Yes, genes are very imperative – they make us who we are today and without them we would not exist. But I think your lifestyle can have a more profound effect on your health. You may have the genes that have a higher tendency towards heart disease, but that doesn’t mean that you will get the disease. I have a family history of diabetes, but that doesn’t mean I have to get diabetes as long as I take care of my body in the best way that I can (involving nutrition, fitness, stress management, sleep, etc.). There are instances where certain things can’t be prevented, but lifestyle can help prevent the onset and help manage it.
I feel that diet and lifestyle come first. I am by no means a doctor (I practically hyperventilate when I see needles, blood, and surgery-things…), but I believe that when it comes to approaching health and treating individuals I think their lifestyle and diet should be analyzed first. Instead of just prescribing more and more prescription drugs, maybe all the individual is scarce of in their body is a certain nutrient which is causing the certain symptoms they are experiencing. The “cure” they may be looking for might come simply from giving their body what it is truly wanting instead of just bombarding it with chemicals. Prescription drugs have their place don’t get me wrong – they save countless lives. But I feel they should come after an individual’s lifestyle and diet are evaluated.
This was a rose that one of my guy-friends got me for Valentine’s. He bought a whole bundle of them and gave them to each of us – it was so sweet of him!
4. Do you prefer summer or winter?
Summer – that’s when watermelon and strawberries are in season. 😉
5. Do you have a ‘bed time’ or do you just go to bed when you feel tired?
I have a bed time: it’s at 10pm so I can get up at 6am (I have early classes). I just need to work on sleeping through the night – I toss and turn a lot from stress…
6. When you were younger what did you dream you would be when you grew up?
I dreamed of being a ballerina. But when I found out their toes bled my desire diminished.
7. What is your most favourite & least favourite thing about your job?
I haven’t ever really had a “job” other than babysitting, but I loved teaching my Sunbeams on Sundays, and I can’t wait for when I can start working with individuals, families, and people in the workplace and help them improve their lives. Once I finish my college degree and become certified that dream can come true.
8. Is there any particular food that you just can’t stomach the taste of at all?
Raw tomatoes. I can eat them cooked, but I can’t stand them raw. All of my friends and family love raw tomatoes, but I don’t. I’m an odd-ball.
9. Do you have a favourite recipe, that you use frequently? If so, please share it!
10. Do you prefer to shop online or in stores?
In-store: that way I can try it on, see if I like it, see the size of the appliance in my hand, flip through the book and see if it interests me, etc.
11. What is your favourite thing about Christmas time?
I love all the service and smiles and sharing and giving and building forever relationships with my family.
Kendra’s 11 questions:
1. What is your favorite holiday tradition/activity/event?
I love singing Christmas songs all year round! 😉
2. How many times have you moved in your life?
I have moved 3 times: Germany to Turkey, Turkey to England, and England to Texas. I’m in Idaho now for school, but since I’ll be back home at the end of August I don’t consider that a “move.”
A few weeks ago I woke up to this find little surprise in the kitchen with a note my roommates left me. They made me cookies – cookies that I can have! They are so sweet – they’ve been telling me all semester that they were going to make a treat that I could have. It really means a lot to me that they would do that for me. 🙂
3. Have you ever been overseas? If so, which countries have you visited? If not, what countries would you like to visit?
I was actually BORN overseas in Germany and lived in Turkey and England as well.
4. What are some of your favorite books?
Pride and Prejudice and . ❤
5. What is your favorite restaurant?
Chipotle! I just went there with my sister and some of our friends and it was absolutely delicious! 😀 I also just went to Panda Express a few weeks ago on a double date and discovered they are quite delicious too.
6. If you could have any superpower, which one would it be and why?
I would want to fly – have ever since I was a little girl. (I would always daydream on the swings….)
7. What is your favorite type of weather?
Cooler – like in the Spring and Fall. Like it is now in Idaho – it’s in the 50s and feels incredible! (Though, it’s supposed to snow tomorrow…. We’ll see how that turns out.)
8. What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten (or drunk)?
It’s not strange, but I’ve had a couples shots of wheat-grass juice before – it was pretty good. 🙂
9. What is your favorite school subject?
Math – I’ve loved it ever since Kindergarten. I also love Nutrition. ❤
10. Do you prefer to exercise indoors or outdoors?
Indoors – I like Zumba, Yoga, and the Elliptical and Weights. But I always love taking walks in the sunshine.
11. What is one of your favorite quotes?
The people I nominate: EVERYONE WHO IS SUBSCRIBED TO MY BLOG!
The 11 questions to answer:
- What does a “balanced diet” mean to you?
- Favorite pastime?
- Do you have a bedtime routine?
- Favorite crayon color(s)?
- Inside or outside?
- Workout in the morning, afternoon, or evening?
- Favorite quote?
- Handwritten letters or email?
- Favorite past time?
- Favorite food in the summer? in the winter?
- Cold or hot beverages?
Try answering one (or more) of the questions above! I’d love to hear your response(s)!
with lots of hugs,